12 Jun 10 Tips for Safe Summer Barbecues
Now that we are enjoying sunshine and warm weather it’s time to dust off your grill in the backyard so you can enjoy a nice barbecue. It may be tempting to jump right into chef mode to start cooking that tasty grilled meal you have longed for all winter, but before you do that consider the following safety tips to help you avoid any grilling mishaps.
- When cooking, do not let children and pets play near the grilling area until the grill is completely cool.
- Place your grill at least ten feet away from other objects including your house, trees and outdoor seating.
- Use starter fluid for barbecue grills that use charcoal only. Do not use starter fluid for gas grills.
- When using your gas grill, do not turn on the gas while your grill lid is closed. This can cause gas to build up inside your grill and can cause problems when you go to light the grill.
- Check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line to make sure it is not leaking and is working properly before using your gas grill.
- If you suspect that your gas grill is leaking, turn off the gas and get the unit fixed before lighting. Never use a match to check for leaks.
- Do not bring your grill into an unventilated or enclosed space such as the garage or inside of your home. This is not only a major fire hazard; it is also a carbon monoxide hazard.
- Not only can grills start fires, they can also cause burns. Exercise caution as you flip foods on the grill to ensure that your hands and arms do not get burned.
- Clean your grill regularly. Allowing grease and fat to build up on your grill can provide more fuel for a fire. Grease is a major source of flare ups.
- When you are done cooking, make sure you completely close the valve on your gas grill.
Did you know? Gas and charcoal grills account for an average of 10 deaths, 100 injuries and $40 million in property loss each year, according to the United States Fire Administration. However you approach your barbecue, be sure to follow these precautions to ensure you can enjoy your delicious grilled meal with no mishaps.