16 Apr Don’t Let Spring Allergies Bring You Down
It is that time of year again, the weather is turning warmer and spring is finally upon us! There is a lot to love about the spring time; flowers, fresh air, warmer temperatures, and longer days, but when those spring allergies hit you, all of those things are much harder to enjoy.
More than 50 million Americans suffer from allergies every year. In particular, springtime allergies are an annual nuisance for many people. As plants begin to bloom and neighbors start to cut their grass more frequently, allergy sufferers nationwide start sniffling and sneezing. What’s more, mold growth blooms both indoors and outdoors, making it almost impossible to escape allergy triggers.
The tips below can help you alleviate your spring allergies so that you can really enjoy the greatness of spring.
Spring Allergy Alleviation Tips
To reduce your allergies, be sure to take the following steps:
- Wash your bedding every week in hot water to help keep pollen under control.
- Wash your hair before going to bed, since pollen can accumulate in your hair.
- Limit the number of throw rugs in your home to reduce dust and mold.
- Wear an inexpensive painter’s mask and gloves when cleaning, vacuuming or painting to limit skin exposure and dust and chemical inhalation.
- Vacuum twice a week.
- Make sure the rugs you have are washable.
- Change air conditioning and heating air filters often.
Treatment for most allergies is available both over-the-counter and by prescription. Talk to your doctor to find out what treatment method is right for you. If your allergy symptoms are severe or chronic, you may need a series of allergy shots. Contact your physician or allergist to determine which treatment option is best for you.