01 Mar March is National Nutrition Month – Kick it off with 5 Tips to Boost Your Health
The month of March is recognized as National Nutrition Month®. The purpose of nutrition month is to focus attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. In honor of this month, we will be featuring a series of topics focused on healthy living.
To kick it off this month we will be featuring 5 tips to boost your health. It’s no secret that the average American diet isn’t super healthy, by industry expert standards. In addition to eating too many calories from fat, sugar and refined grains, many Americans do not eat enough fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
When you consider how important a healthy diet is for overall health and disease prevention, this is pretty alarming. In fact, improving your diet could extend your life span and reduce the chances of costly chronic diseases like heart disease, stroke and diabetes
If you want to improve your diet, but are wondering where to start, look no further Listed below are some simple ways to get started on your healthy eating journey.
- Eat breakfast every day. Studies have shown that eating a healthy breakfast can lead to better strength and endurance, sharper concentration and better problem-solving abilities.
- Plan as many home-cooked meals as you can. They usually have fewer calories and cost less than typical meals eaten at restaurants
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Half of your plate at each meal should be vegetables or fruits
- Beware of sweetened drinks. Sodas and sports drinks are high in calories. Keep in mind that the calories in juice can also quickly add up.
- Choose food sensibly when eating out. Restaurants are often required to make nutrition information readily available. If you do not see brochures sitting out, or nutrition information listed on the menu, ask.