15 Oct October – “Would you like a pumpkin spice latte with your insurance claim?”
October means fall is among us – Get out those boots, scarves and pumpkin spice lattes to head on over to the apple orchard and pick up some pumpkins on your way home. But fall isn’t just about the funny Halloween costumes or the cute apple orchard pictures – It’s a time insurance claims can quickly increase if you aren’t prepared.
As the seasons change, so do the types of claims. Falling leaves create a skidding hazard for careless drivers; deer jumping out in front of your car unexpectedly; fires starting from not cleaning out your chimney and fireplace properly. Don’t let these accidents hold you back from enjoying fall.
Start preparing your home now for the harsh winter weather and temperature conditions.
- Inspect and clean your heating system by a qualified technician.
- Replace your furnace filter according to the manual instructions.
- Check gutters for any damage or leaf back-up.
- Have a professional clean and inspect your chimney.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and remove any lint and dust that may have accumulated inside the dryer.
- Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible.
- Inspect your smoke detectors.
- Trim excess tree branches down around your roof and home.
- Consider weather-stripping the doors and sealing cracks around windows.
- Protect pipes from freezing by insulating them to keep a steady flow of warm air around them.
If you have any questions about your homeowners policy or are interested in more options, consider talking with someone from our team today. Let us help you find ways to stay covered this fall!