What to do in the Event of an Automobile Accident
We understand at Shepherd Insurance that it is an offence if you either fail to stop at the scene of an accident or fail to report an accident in which you are involved. If a road-traffic accident in which you are involved as a driver results in injury to someone other than yourself, or injury to an animal, or damage to property, there are important things you must do to avoid breaking the law and to help any possible future insurance claim.
Do the following in the event of an accident:
- Stay calm. Accidents happen quickly and can be upsetting. Stay calm, and don’t argue with others involved in the accident.
- Prevent additional accidents. Warn oncoming traffic with a light, flag or similar device.
- Help the injured. Do not render first aid unless you are qualified. Call an ambulance if anyone is injured.
- Call the police. Don’t discuss what happened with anyone except the police.
- File a report. In the event that the police are unable to respond to your call, you’ll need to go to the nearest police station and file an accident report.
- If you are a client of ours call us at 317-846-5554 to report the accident. To expedite the call, make sure you have as much information about the scene of the accident available.
If you would like more information about this or other topics
Please call Ray Chappell at our Indianapolis location or contact Shepherd Insurance.
We are here to help!
SOURCE: Zywave, Inc.